What happened to us?

I just finished reading Most miserable countries in the world , and it really affected me. Serbia holds third spot in this category. Serbia used to be part of the Yugoslavia, the country that was one of the strongest countries in the world 30+ years ago. And today, 30 years later, Serbia is one of the most miserable countries in the world. It really makes me sad.
I don't remember times when Yugoslavia was a world power. But, my parents do. A person could travel wherever and whenever he or she wants to. Yugoslavian passport was worth a lot (similar to the USA passport today). There were no visas, or any restrictions to travel around the world. People would work, and they would get paid for their work. Today, you never know when are you getting paid, or if you are getting paid at all. People work for months with no salaries. And salaries are a joke- average salary in Serbia is around $500-$600 a month. Some people work for $200-$300. Who can survive with this amount of money? Serbian people do. If you say that standard is low, and prices are not that high, you are making a big mistake. Food and clothes, in Serbia, are one of the most expensive in Europe.
Most of the young people with a good education cannot find a job. Unemployment rate is close to 30%. That means 1/3 of the people who are able to work, do not have (read cannot find) a job. No wonder people are miserable.
I feel bad for our parents, who lived during great times. They knew how to live and how to enjoy. When there wasn't much to worry about. And today, they are watching their kids who get education, but cannot find a job. Times when education is not important, but who you know and how much money you can pay for a certain work position.When is more important how are you  dressed instead of what kind of knowledge you have. When going to the public hospital (where health care supposed to be free) you need to pay the doctor in order to get decent  care you already deserved. Where Sorry and Thank You do not exist. Where being nice and polite is a shame. Where only dream and plan, of young people, is to leave the country. I don't blame them. I left the country.
It's sad when your home country cannot offer you a decent life.
I don't blame the people. I blame the system. But, then system is what people chose. So maybe I blame people. I don't know who to blame, but situation is bad. Really bad. I'm scared it will get worse.
What happened to Yugoslavia? What happened to Serbia? What happened to people? What happened to us?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 countries I want to visit

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Zlin Zoo