Prostejov, Czech Republic

Prostejov has been good to us so far. We moved here about two months ago.
Before we moved here, we were in Skopje, Macedonia. I was fighting myself to write post about Skopje, but I couldn't do it. Our time in Skopje was awful. Whenever I think about it, I have this ugly anxious feeling. If I could choose one country to never visit (again), easily that would be Macedonia. So I decided not to write a post about it. It doesn't deserve to be here, and remind me of bad things. I do have Skopje through my phone post, if you want to check it out.
Well... Enough about negative feelings. Let's talk about Prostejov.
Prostejov is a small city in Czech Republic, located on the eastern side of the country. It is 20 minutes away from Olomouc, and 45 minutes away from Brno. The city got its name from the Lord Prostêj, and the first time the city appeared in historical records was in 1141. The population of the city is around 44 000.
The dominant feature, of the town, is the Town Hall which is 66 meters tall (photos below).




     
              



The interesting fact, about this Town Hall, is that the clock part was planned to be in the center of the main building. But, the land (small neighbor building on the right) could not be bought. Even with one side shorter than the other, the building is still very pretty. 
On December 31st, we watched beautiful fireworks in front of here. Many people came out to see it. I think it might be their tradition. People would go out with their families, buy some kind of hot drinks (wine, punch...) and watch fireworks. The fireworks was synchronized with music that was played. Even though we didn't understand the words in songs, we really enjoyed the show. Everyone gave big clap at the end. 
We didn't explore the city too much, because it's winter. I am waiting for better weather, so we can be outside longer. There are few see sights I want to visit, but it will have to wait until spring. 
Another interesting thing...
Before I tell (write) you, I have to ask you: Do you believe in destiny?
Well... I was here 12 years ago.  :) Not exactly in Prostejov, but in Olomouc. 
When I played club volleyball (12 years ago), we came to Czech Republic to play tournament. We played in Olomouc city. The city was unknown to me then. I only remembered the name of the town because of that tournament. And, life went on. I forgot about the tournament, the city and the Czech Republic. Well, 12 years later (2 months ago), Darko told me he got an offer from some team in Czech Republic. He told me all about the offer, and then he told me the team is from Olomouc. I was so surprised. I was like :"I know that city. I've been there!" :) So, 12 years later, I came back with my family very close to the city where I played tournament long time ago. Maybe, it's destiny. Maybe it's something else. But, just the coincidence is not for sure.  
People are very nice, and they are always willing to help. 
Czech Republic is very known for great beer. Too bad I don't drink beer, and I can't tell you how good it is. :) 
The photos, that you'll see below, are mainly from the city centre. 













Waiting for the fireworks 

Have you visited Czech Republic before?
Is there anything I should visit or try? 
Hope you have a great week, and I will talk to you soon! 

Jelena 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 countries I want to visit

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Lefke, Cyprus