No kissing, pleaseee...

Hi there!
This is something I really wanted to write about since the second day we got here. 
I know every country has its own ways of greeting people, and I'm ok with that. Culture is something special that makes every country unique.
In Serbia, we kiss three times on cheeks (each time different cheek) when we say hello or bye to someone we know. In Tunisia, they kiss two times the same way. So, I'm used to kissing like that. 
What I'm not used to, and not ok with, is how they greet small babies. They kiss them on the cheeks too! Even strangers do that. When Tunisians see a baby, their first reaction is: "Oh, hi baby. You are very cute! Let me kiss you!" ( I don't understand Arabic, but my guess is they are saying something like this.) You would see most random people approach babies like this. 
It's ok to kiss the baby on the hand, shoulder, or perhaps the head, but not on the cheeks. 
I know they don't mean anything bad, since they are super super friendly and they love babies very much. But, I'm still protective and it bothers me I must say. 
Once, I asked a person not to kiss Nina, and she was offended. Maybe she didn't understand me, or my reaction was too impulsive (probably that :) )  Other time, I moved Nina on the side before they would come close to her. I don't want to be rude or unpolite, but I can't let random people touch and kiss her. 
There are so many diseases, and babies are too sensitive. 
Maybe, I'm being too protective, but I think all moms are. 
What do you think about this? 

Jelena


Comments

  1. I agree with you Jelena! I don't think it's over protective and I feel the same way! It baffles me that people think it's ok to kiss other people's babies. We don't know where they're mouth has been or what foreign country they could have gotten a disease from! And babies immune system may not be strong enough to handle all those germs...or maybe I'm just over protective too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. :) Keeping our babies healthy and happy is our main job. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 countries I want to visit

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Zlin Zoo